Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Time for New Eyes



Last week I got in my car without my sunglasses, so I looked in the glove compartment for favorite spare pair, my first RayBans that I’ve had the good fortune of holding onto for 12 years.  I remember when I first put those brown RayBans over my eyes the very first time… 

Suddenly, I could see in sunshine bright  like never before.

To my horror, when I pulled lose-proof brown spare pair out of the glove compartment last Tuesday, I discovered the right lens smashed…  

I heard the Lord speak to me in the way only He can do:  
"I'm going to give you a new way of seeing."   

Now, to me, that’s lense-smashing good news much more valuable than some RayBans.  

So I found another pair of inferior sunglasses stuffed in the back of the glove compartment and went on to my appointment. I met with a consultant and we discussed Time Management.  I was so inspired by her advice and business sense that I went straight to the mall and bought a new clock.  

I got myself a clock that chimes every 15 minutes to the tune of Ave Maria.  Now when I am at my desk, I hear the chime and I pause.   

I place busy hands in prayer position at thinking brow 
with base of thumbs pressing lightly into working mind.   
I close my eyes and breathe.   

It only takes a few seconds and the chimes end, but in those few seconds I have been given a gift:  Time to remember God's hands hold all.  Time to remember each breath His gift.  Time to remember God with me.

My new clock is helping me manage time instead of lack of time managing me.  Days are longer and working day ends sooner.  At 8:00pm with the sound of the bells, I straighten my desk, walk out of the office and close the door.  I don't enter again until morning. 
 
I remember hearing a Scripture a long time ago:  Teach me to number my days.  

Days are made of numbered hours.  Hours of minutes, minutes of moments.  
Suddenly, thanks to Ava Maria time keeper, 
I have a new way of seeing those passing numbered moments.



Show me, Lord, my life's end and the number of my days; 
let me know how fleeting my life is. Psalm 39:4


No comments:

Post a Comment