Thursday, August 8, 2013

Sacred Space

Last week I harbored at Sacred Heart Monastery and the Benedictine Sister's Retreat Center in Cullman, AL.  My purpose in going was to seek out a new location for New Day Yoga's 500 Hour Teacher Training.  A business trip.  I'd been to the monastery before on personal retreats and knew the peace of the space, knew I'd be blessed by the quiet, the trees, the labrynth, the memorial spot of all the sisters laid to eternal rest.  So after a silent dinner meal at my own table for one, I set out to visit some of my favorite spots and to check out the new additions to the old facility.

My first stop was the new retreat chapel...

Breath-giving, heart-soothing space.  Six long and tall stained-glass windows greeted with softly fading, evening light.  Two glass saints framed either side of the central alter holding lit candle and Holy of Holies.  Two saints drawing near in worship and community.

Now I, third saint, entered the prayer.

Four other stained-glass pieces, messaging life's seasons, surrounded the sanctuary: 
     Dogwood blossoms of Spring spoke, "Listen, My Daughter."
          Golden apples of Summer declared, "Seek God."
               Falling leaves of Autumn reminded, "Pray and Work."
                    Dancing snowflakes of Winter sang, "Receive Me, O Lord."


Daughter of God took a seat to listen... and Father God spoke.


Finally, after many years of "holding it all together,"

          a breaking
                               through.

Gasps for breath
cries of angst
tears of weariness
poured.
Confessions of inadaquacy
relentless torment
fearful hopelessness
pooled.


Listening Daughter chose not to stifle the unsightly Godly emotions; instead she rode them, wave after purifying wave.


Alone.  With God.  In Sacred Space.



   

2 comments: