Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Resting from Expectations

Lately I've been consciously practicing the challenging art of letting go, particularly letting go of expectations to get things done, now, my way.  Having expectations wears me out, and I'm ready to rest.  So I wrote this poem to inspire me.  Maybe if I let go of all the expectations I have for myself, I can also let go of all the expectations I have for others.  Now that would be restful, wouldn't it?


Let Rest Come

Let lists of still-to-dos
wait amidst piles in the office, letting go
of today before it turns into tomorrow.

Let dogs take up scratching
as husbands take up remotes
and beverages.  Let rest come.

Let counters collect mail lost
among card stock ads.  Let camomile tea steep
with its rising steam heralding soothing flavor.

Let birds go back to cozy nests.
Let glowing sun go down.  Let computer screens
go blank.  Let rest come.

To email unanswered, to phone calls
yet to be returned, to texts unread--
let rest come.

Let it come as Sabbath, and don't
resist.  God does not drive us
mercilessly, so let rest come.


Dayna Gelinas, August 1, 2013
Sacred Heart Monastery, Cullman, AL


The Lord is my shepherd...  He makes me lie down.
Psalm 23:1-2


No comments:

Post a Comment